DIIGIIT ROBOTICS FORUM

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-04-03 07:53:49

jacobsson

Odroid C2: HDMI electrical problem

Hi Diigiit forum.

I just received my brand new Odroid C2 and during self-installer of Android I noticed that the picture went black a couple of times, this behavior continued after the installation completed which became a problem.
My first thought was that this is just some HDMI setting that I can change in ODROID Utility, as you can understand this didn't help.

After a while the screen went black permanently and my monitor showed "no source", so I started putting a little pressure on HDMI port and power port to see if there is some electrical contact problem, and the picture came back during pressure and black when releasing, so that seemed to be the case.

Here is a video of me demonstrating the faulty HDMI connection: dropbox link Sorry, I'm not allowed to post links yet.

I get the same results when I tried:
1. Changing HDMI cable
2. Changing monitor
4. Changing power supply
5. I even changed SD-card

Before someone tells me about shield grounding problems I can confirm that all shields (HDMI, USB, Ethernet, microUSB DC-in, 2.5/0.8mm DC-in) are already in contact.

To me this looks like a faulty Odroid, what do you think?

Last edited by jacobsson (2016-04-03 09:03:50)

#2 2016-04-03 12:28:01

Diigiit Sales

Re: Odroid C2: HDMI electrical problem

Hello,

I may say that may first idea is that you may be right. However, I'd like to ask you a couple of questions just to help me understand if there is no other possibility.

1- What power supply are you using? Have you ever used one of these power with an Odroid-C1+ for instance.

2- HDMI cable; by any chance, do you have any other Odroid-C1+ or Odroid-XU4 board that you could use to test your HDMI cable?

3- What is the color of the board LED. Do you think the board is booting correctly?

4- What kernel image have you used? What microSD card brand and model? What is the operating system used to install the microSD card (Windows, Linux), what release?

Last edited by Diigiit Sales (2016-04-03 12:47:20)

#3 2016-04-03 21:54:58

jacobsson

Hi.
First of all, thanks for the quick answer (on a Sunday and all)!
This is actually my first odroid board, coming from multiple r-pi revisions, android sticks etc and now I decided to move to something much more powerful.

1- I've tried different micro-USB power supplies rated 2A, 5V. They all have a stable voltage since they've been used on a heavily overclocked r-pi2 before (it's a good measurement). The blackout occurs even with non USB device connected to it at all

2- Sorry I haven't been able to test any other Odroid, but theses cables and monitors have work great on every device I thrown at them prior to this (I had a big bunch of different devices)

3- The board seems fine power wise and boots great, solid red led and a blinking blue led and no sign of instability at all. Tested out some more demanding tasks such as dreamcast emulation for a longer period with great success.

4- I used the "selfinstall-odroidc2-eng-s905_5.1.1_master-220-v1.2.img.xz" on a Samsung Pro 32GB SDHC (mb-mg32d class 10) and a Kingston 8GB SDHC (sdc/8gb). For installing I used my laptop, Windows 10 Pro.

To me seems like my board has a manufacturing problem causing the HDMI to black out.
I wouldn't mind waiting for a replacement board hoping we could make the return process fairly quick.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited by jacobsson (2016-04-04 07:52:34)

#4 2016-04-04 13:28:05

Diigiit Sales

Hello,

Please fill the return form and I will contact you offline for additional details

Return form

Thank you.

#5 2016-04-08 07:53:31

jacobsson

Diigiit Sales wrote:

Hello,

Please fill the return form and I will contact you offline for additional details

Thank you.

Hi!
The form has been filled and sent.
I think I just want the refund and of course return my item to you.

I don't see any instructions for the return?

Thanks!

Last edited by jacobsson (2016-04-08 07:58:29)

Board footer